Monday, June 23, 2008

The 2B Experience...

I signed up for the 2B course at BBDC (Bukit Batok Driving Centre) in November 2006. It was only until December 2006 that I started on the practical lessons.

Aww... that book looks oh so familiar... reminiscence of the old times... even the book has become tattered and torn... it was a struggle to scan this!


I was a new cyclist, so naturally I wasn't a fast learner at 2B. In fact, I was really quite slow as compared to other people who were learning with me. In certain lessons, I even had to take 4 times to pass it!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My learning progress was as follows:
Stage 1.01 (Orientation): 2 times
Stage 1.02 (Moving off, stopping & gear shifting): 2 times
Stage 1.03 (Riding posture, speed control & cornering): 2 times

Stage 2.01 (Blind spot, target stopping, slope & left turn): 2 times
Stage 2.02 (Turning, lane change & traffic rules): 3 times

Stage 3.01 (Narrow plank & pylon slalom): 4 times
Stage 3.02 (Emergency brake on wet surface): 2 times

Stage 4.01 (S course & crank course): 2 times
Stage 4.02 (U turns in circuit & review circuit courses): 1 time

Stage 5.01 (Risk forecast training & pillion riding): 1 time
Stage 5.02 (Evaluation - Circuit): 4 times

Stage 6.01 (ROAD-Independent riding in light & medium density traffic): 4 times

Stage 7.01 (ROAD-Independent riding in medium & heavy density traffic): 2 times

Stage 8.01 (FINAL evaluation): 1 time

SP (self-practice) + RC (Circuit Revision - why is not called CR???): countless...

TP test: 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the midst of the learning process, my knees were bruised many times by many situations such as: releasing the bike from the main stand and then the main stand hit my knee, falling off the bike while doing pylon slalom, e-brake, etc... And sometimes to the extent of flying off the bike!!

In one occasion, while doing pylon slalom in stage 3.01, I fell down in such a way that the bike landed on legs and my left ankle was burnt by the exhaust.

Luckily, BBDC was quick in its first aid and the instructor drove me to the nearest clinic for a tetanus jab and bone checkup. Thank God that my bones were not broken!

After about 4 days of recovery, I proceeded to complete stage 3.01 and moved through the other stages!

After 4+ months of painful training and perseverance, I finally got my license in May 2007!

About a week after obtaining the 2B license, I bought myself a Honda Phantom 200!

It is through this bike that I learn a lot about the nitty-gritty stuff of biking (parking places, basic bike maintenance, etc.) and also enjoying the freedom and convenience that a bike can give!

1 comment:

raja said...

hi!I enjoyed your post. I am learning 2B now. It's indeed a long pathway and alot of endurance is required.I wish I can carry on without any hurdles.A real mental challenge. I would kindly like to request for some tips from you. Let me share your bike dream with you :)
my email add is ginoren@hotmail.com
from,
raja